An Extract from “The Builder” (5th August 1854)
"The church of St. Anne’s, Sale Moor, was opened on 14th ult. The church which is built on a site presented with a donation of 500l by Mr Samuel Brookes, of Manchester, is in the decorated style of the 14th century. The tower is at the north-west angle of the nave, and is three stages high. In the basement is the principal entrance, beneath a bold canopied doorway; above there is a two-light window, with tracery. At the corners of the tower are angle buttresses, over which, supported by gargoyles, are crocketted pinnacles, terminating in finials, the summit of which are 70 feet above the ground line. The parapet is composed of open tracery. Surmounting the tower is a spire, 60 feet high. At the east end is a five-light window; at the west-end, one of four lights; the side windows, two and three lights alternately: the transepts have three-light windows, the whole filled with tracery. The buttresses are in two stages, the whole being built of stone. The extreme length of the building is 100 feet, and across the transepts is 60 feet. Part of the roof is open timbered, the intersection of nave, chancel and transepts having a groined ceiling, in imitation of stoned arching. The edifice has been completed from the designs of and under the superintendence of Mr W Hayley, of Manchester, architect. The cost, including endowments and fittings, is 4200l, nearly all raised by voluntary contributions, chiefly from the neighbourhood. The building contains nearly 600 sittings, over one-third free. A marble font has been presented to the church by Mr Earl, and a stained window for the vestry by Mr Hurlbutt”.
Extract from “The Builder” (19th September 1864)
“St Ann’s Church has been re-opened after the completion of alterations and additions, comprising a new aisle to the south side of the nave. The alterations have been carried out uniform with the church. Additional accommodation has been obtained for about 200 persons, at an outlay of about 600l. The contract has been executed by Messrs Davis & Mawdsley, builder, under the superintendence of Mr John Lowe, architect”.