A list of Incumbents. The Church opened on 17th July 1854
- 1856 Revd. Jonathan Johnson Cort
- 1884 Revd. John Patchett Cort
- 1917 Revd. Norman Veitch Scorer
- 1925 Revd. Hugh Archibald James
- 1931 Revd. Henry Alexander Wahltuch
- 1937 Revd. Sidney Burroughs Warburton
- 1957 Revd. Winston Gordon Hurlow
- 1965 Revd. George R. Kemp
- 1977 Revd. Joseph Edmund Richardson
- 1985 Revd. David Alfred Kay
- 1988 Revd. John Sutton
- 1996 Revd. Peter Maxwell Potter
- 2000 Revd. Dr. Stephen Arthur Foster
- 2005 Revd. Julian Heaton
- 2018 Revd. Alison Cox
Revd. Jonathan Johnson Cort, M.A.
Born 26 January 1827, Bentham, Yorkshire
Died 10 October 1884, Sale, Cheshire, Aged 57 years.
1854 to 10 October 1884, Vicar 1856
TESTIMONIAL TO THE REV. J. JOHNSON CORT, M.A.
PRESENTATION TO THE REV. J. J. CORT, AT SALE.
The congregation attending St. Anne's Church, Sale, met in the large schoolroom on Monday evening for the purpose of presenting their esteemed Vicar, the Rev. J. Johnson Cort, M.A., with an expression of their loving esteem on the completion of the twenty-second year of his ministry amongst them. There was a good attendance, and the chair was occupied by Mr. William Joynson, J.P.
The Chairman said the object for which they were met together was the presentation of a testimonial to Mr. Cort for his hearty services. He would briefly explain the way in which it originated. In the first place, they were aware he had been twenty-two years doing his, duty in that parish, and on that, the twenty-second anniversary, several members of the congregation, whom he greatly respected, thought that that was an appropriate and becoming time to present some token of esteem to Mr. Cort. (Applause.) He was also informed that unsolicited many had expressed a desire that some opportunity for doing this would present itself. Hearing of this he consulted his friend Mr. Occleston, and the result was, that owing to the encouragement they received they decided to carry out the idea of a testimonial, and to undertake the duty connected therewith. Having done this, they consulted with the churchwardens, as they were not anxious to do anything without their consent—because the churchwardens and sidesmen were undoubtedly the proper representatives of the congregation. However, the churchwardens and sidesmen all concurred. This gave them the right to come before the congregation, and therefore Mr. Occleston and himself, in order not to give any one the slightest anxiety or trouble, undertook to go round and see the congregation, and they could form some idea how heartily the matter was taken up when he said that three-fourths had been voluntarily given without the slightest hesitation in any way whatever. Some even thanked them for calling upon them. Others said they embraced the opportunity with very great pleasure; and in two or three instances some individuals offered them more money than they would actually receive—such was their anxiety to join in a testimonial to Mr. Cort. (Applause.) The result of their labour he might say was successful beyond their anticipations, and when he mentioned the sum total, £320, he wished it to be distinctly understood that they never took it from anyone who was in any way unwilling, they never solicited or pressed anybody—the single object they had in view was to recognize the services of 22 years; and he might say for himself that for the last 22 years he believed he had watched Mr. Cort and known him intimately, he had heard of him in every possible direction, he had been a constant attendant as far as he possibly could, and nothing delighted him more than to go to that church and listen to him. (Applause.) That testimonial was the unequivocal and hearty expression of the congregation, and he trusted and hoped—because he expressed his own individual opinion, and he was confident it was an opinion generally held—that Mr. Cort had faithfully discharged the duties of his ministry to the best of his ability, and for the welfare of those under his charge. (Applause.)
The service, which consisted of kettle, tea pot, coffee pot, cream jug and sugar basin, were then uncovered amid loud applause. The articles were really splendid specimens, and came from the establishment of Messrs. Hall and Co., King-street, Manchester.
Mr. J. J. Occleston said the remarks of their Chairman had been so exhaustive and comprehensive that there was very little left for him to say. As an old resident in the neighbourhood, however, he might say he had derived considerable gratification in actively assisting with others in carrying to a successful issue the testimonial they were going to present to one who was valued and esteemed by all. It devolved upon him to perform the very pleasing duty of making the presentation to their respected Vicar, the Rev. J. Johnson Cort, of a purse containing 200 guineas, and a handsome silver tea and coffee service; and he thought it would be best to read the inscription that the service bore:—"This tea and coffee service, together with a purse of 200 guineas, was presented to the Rev. J. Johnson Cort, M.A., the first vicar of St. Anne's Church, Sale, by his congregation, as a token of esteem and regard for the faithful discharge of his ministry in the church and parish for 22 years. July, 1876." (Applause.)
The Rev. J. J. Cort (who was most heartily received) said they would not be surprised, he was sure, when he told them that it was with feelings of no ordinary pleasure that he stood up amongst them that night. Often as he had been privileged to address them in times past, he certainly never before had been called upon to address them upon such an occasion as the present. There were times, too, when one's feelings were too deep for utterance, when the heart was full, but the tongue was unequal to the occasion, and he thought that on that ground he might claim their kind indulgence. He must, however, thank them very sincerely and very gratefully for the very handsome testimonial which had just been presented to him in such a kind manner by Mr. Occleston. He need hardly say, when he looked on those beautiful presents, that he had peculiar pleasure in accepting them. His thanks were specially due to their respected Chairman and to Mr. Occleston, not only for their kind remarks, but for their indefatigable, generous, and self-denying exertions in that matter. He valued that testimonial, not merely for its intrinsic worth, though that was very considerable, but he valued it far more as a testimony of their esteem and good will. (Applause.) He was very glad to hear from his friends — as he had heard again that night — that they did not press anyone for a contribution. (Hear, hear.) He should, indeed, have been sorry if any pressure had been brought to bear upon a single contributor. He thought, however, he was warranted in regarding that testimonial as proof of their esteem and good will – (applause) – and as such he greatly valued it. They must excuse him, however, if he went a little further. He hoped that he could say, in some humble measure, with the great apostle St. Paul, "Not because I desire gift, but I desire fruit that may abound to your account." He wanted something more even than their generous gifts, something more than even their love and affection, valuable and cheering as these were to a minister, —he wanted the souls of his people for their God, he wanted them all to he found treading the narrow path which led to blissful immortality — let him add this, and as their pastor he was truly happy. Of himself personally, he dared not say much. When a man began to speak about himself he had generally a poor subject to dwell upon. He was at least in danger of becoming egotistical, and therefore distasteful. He was painfully conscious of many imperfections, many infirmities, many shortcomings; but he hoped he might say without boasting that his endeavour had bee to do his duty and to do good; and he ventured humbly to hope that good had been done in that place — he trusted that some, nay that many, would have cause to bless God in eternity for their connection with the church in Sale. But though he had nothing to boast of, he had much to be thankful for. He was thankful he had been permitted to labour in that parish. While almost every church in the neighbourhood had passed into other hands — some more than once — he was still at his post. It was a great mercy to him that during the whole of that period he had never been laid aside for a single Sunday or any portion of a Sunday through bodily indisposition. He had been privileged to preach many a sermon, to baptise many a child, to prepare many a young person for confirmation; he had been called too in the discharge of his ministerial duties to visit many a sick bed and many a death bed; but as he looked back upon past years he could not but think of some valued and true hearted friends, now no more, who would have rejoiced to have been present on such an occasion as that. He remembered such men as George Kinsey, Charles Evans, William Butterfield and others who had been more recently removed, but whose names he must not mention lest he should touch too tender a chord in the breasts of some who were there assembled. He was thankful, however, they had amongst them one of the oldest and moot valued members of their congregation in the person of their worthy Chairman. He always looked upon Mr. Joynson as the father and founder of St. Anne's Church. (Applause.) For as many of them knew — and as all of them ought to know — it was principally through his exertions that that church way first erected. He (the rev. speaker) hoped he would not consider him guilty of a breach of confidence if he ventured to tell them that that day was doubly interesting, as it happened to be his birthday. (Loud applause.) He hoped they would all join in wishing him "Many happy returns of the day," and in expressing a hope that if it be the Lord's will he might yet long be spared to live and labour amongst them. There were very few men in any Christian congregation who had done more good in their own parish and neighbourhood than he had done, and there were few men who were more justly respected and honoured. (Hear, and applause.) But he thought in other respects, too, a review of past years furnished matter fur satisfaction and thankfulness. Their church had been twice enlarged to meet the wants of a large and increasing population. That church had always been full, or very nearly so, and though two other churches had been erected in the neighbourhood, to say nothing of dissenting chapels, it continued full still. That commodious schoolroom had been erected, together with school house. An infant schoolroom, too, had been added, and they had flourishing Sunday and day schools. For these things it became them to be thankful. But the population of the parish was rapidly increasing, and he supposed it was about three times as large as it was when he first came to the place. At the last census there were about 5,300 persons in his parish, and he supposed there were now at 1east 6,500. The population was thus, as they perceived, becoming too large for the superintendence of one man, and for its efficient working, and they were hoping ere long to erect a schoolroom on the farther side of the canal, and to get that schoolroom licensed for service, and to place there an evangelical clergyman who would have charge of that portion of his parish. They had no doubt that if they got, a right minded and suitable man, that that schoolroom would by and bye lead to a church and to a separate ecclesiastical district. He earnestly hoped that that good work would be accomplished. He should be sorry indeed if any had cause to say of him that the spiritual wants and interests of the parish had suffered in any degree during his incumbency. He thought if the ladies would kindly take the matter up and let them have a large bazaar about next Easter they would easily raise the required funds. (Applause.) Allow him to say, however, before he sat down, that he hoped their meeting and the occasion which had drawn them together would be the means of cementing more closely the union which subsisted between them as minister and people. He might congratulate himself upon the fact that that was not a parting testimonial. (Applause.) Testimonials were often given to clergymen when they were leaving their respective flocks, but this had been given to him while ho was still labouring amongst them, and as far as man could tell, likely to continue his labours. (Applause.) It would therefore be to him a lasting memento of their generosity; it would be a cherished heirloom in his family, and he hoped it would convey to them grateful and pleasing testimony. He assured them he deeply felt their kindness. He could only offer them in return his warmest thanks, and his most earnest prayers for their spiritual and temporal welfare. Their meetings on earth, pleasant and gratifying as they were, would by and bye be over; but he prayed that they might all meet at last amid brighter scenes, "beneath the roof of our Father's house, whence we shall go no more out for ever." He did not know that he could add anything to this. He would therefore conclude by thanking them not only for that valuable and substantial proof of their attachment, but also for the cordial welcome which they had so kindly given him. (Loud applause.)
Mr. Armistead, the Superintendent of the Sunday School, in proposing a vote of thanks to the Chairman and Mr. Occleston for their exertions, alluded in graceful terms to the active part which Mrs. Cort had always taken in all affairs relating to the wellbeing of the parish. In season and out of season she was always to be found doing her duty, and he could not let that opportunity pars without in some way pointing out that had it not been for such an able aide-de-camp as Mrs. Cort, their good minister would not have been able to have performed his duties in the efficient and painstaking manner which had been recognized that evening. He then proposed the vote of thanks, which was seconded by Mr. Woolmore, and duly acknowledged.
During the evening several glees were sung by the choir, and throughout the proceedings were of the most enjoyable character.
Extracted from 'The Bowdon Guardian', 18th October 1884:
“Mr Cort was educated at St John’s College Cambridge and graduated BA (5th Wrangler) in 1850, MA in 1853, Deacon 1850, and Priest 1851 by the Bishop of Worcester. He was appointed the Vicar of Sale in 1856, the Patrons of which church are 5 Trustees. He was surrogate of the diocese of Chester 1882, formerly assistant master of King Edward's School, Birmingham, 1850 to 1852; Fellow of St John's College, Cambridge 1851-55; curate of St Mary's, Birmingham, 1852-53; Eccles, Lancashire 1853; Minister of St Michael's Cemetery Church, Birmingham, 1854, and was the author of numerous sermons, which are published in the “Church of England Magazine”, single sermons etc.”.
He addressed his flock, based on Acts XX 24, for the last time on 20 July although far from well at the time (30th anniversary of his appointment as vicar).
Interred at Brooklands Cemetery, the first part of the burial service was conducted at St Anne's, by The Rev G London, MA, Vicar of St George’s Altrincham. The hymns were, “Brief life here is here our portion” (choir and congregation), followed by two Psalms. At the cemetery, the choir sang, “My God, my Father, while I stray” and, at the conclusion, “Art thou weary, art thou languid”.
In the 1881 Census the following details are recorded:
Dwelling: 10 Clarendon Rd
Census Place: Sale, Cheshire, England
Source: FHL Film 1341840, PRO Ref RG11, Piece 3507, Folio 65, Page 50
Jonn Johnson CORT M 54 M Bentham, York, England
Occ: (Clergyman) Vicar of Sale
Sarah CORT M 50 F Barton on Irwell, Lancashire, England
Eliza HATCHARD W 31 F Over, Cheshire, England
Occ: Dom Serv (Cook)
Helen Lloyd JONES U 22 F Celynin, Merioneth, Wales
Occ: Dom Serv (Housemaid)
Revd. John Patchett Cort, M.A.
Born 17 October 1856, Sale, Cheshire
Died 29 April 1917, Sale, Cheshire, Aged 60 years
Vicar, 1884 to 29 April 1917
Revd. JP Cort was the only son of the late Rev JJ Cort. He died, “... suddenly while seated in his chair in his study on Sunday afternoon ... having painlessly died from a haemorrhage in the brain. He was in his sixty-first year ...”. He had three sons and a daughter.
He was, “Educated at Owens College and St Johns College, Cambridge, graduating BA at Cambridge in 1879 an MA in 1883. He subsequently became an associate of Owens College, and had the honorary degree of BA, of Victoria University, Manchester. He was ordained deacon by the Archbishop of York in 1879, and priest in the following year, and from 1879 to 1881 was Senior Curate of St Philip’s, Sheffield, a large parish of over 20,000. He came to Sale as Curate to his Father in 1881 ...”.
Prominent in the public mind, he was:
- A Surrogate for the Diocese of Chester
- Honorary Secretary of the Diocesan Branch of the Church of England Temperance Society
- Diocesan Representative on the Central Committee, which meets in London
- Honorary Secretary of the Bowdon Rural Deanery Sunday School Association
- Secretary (later Chairman) of the Altrincham, Sale, Knutsford and Lymm Police Court Mission
He, “... was a specialist in Poor Law Administration and his advice was often in request from London and frequently attended conferences in London and the Provincial Cities and Towns. He was elected one of the representatives of Sale on the Altrincham (now Bucklow) Union in 1883 and about fourteen years ago was made Chairman of the Board, the highest position that can be conferred upon a guardian. Since then he has been annually been re-elected, the last appointment was made only last week. Equal with his interest in Poor Law administration was his interest his education. He was elected a member of the late School Board for Sale, and was vice-chairman, and when the Administrative Sub-committee supplanted the School Board he became a member of the new body. He was chairman of the Sale School Attendance Committee and a member of the Northenden School Attendance Committee. In 1903 he was made member of the Diocesan Voluntary Schools Association, as one of one the representatives of the Rural Deanery of Bowdon, and he was chairman of his own and manager of other schools. He was one of the Trustees of the Sale Educational Foundation. From its inception he had been chairman of the Sale and Ashton-on-Mersey Civic Guild of Help. He was an active supporter and staunch friend of the Sale Girls' Industrial School.
A movement which at once elicited the approval of Mr Cort was that which began the Church Lads' Brigade, of which the Sale St Anne’s Company was the senior company in the north of England. The reverend gentleman acted as chaplain to the 3rd Battalion Chester Regiment. Many years ago he was instrumental, along with the late Mrs Worthington and others, in forming a district nursing association for Sale, and he had filled the positions of hon. treasurer and hon. Secretary”.
A short private service was held at the Vicarage, conducted by the Revd Lowry Hamilton (Northenden), followed by a public service at St Anne's. Mourners included the Sale and Ashton-on-Mersey Joint Fire Brigade, under Superintendent J Royle. The service was conducted by the Reverend P Holland Lester (St Martins A-o-M), Rev T Eaton McCormick (St Mary’s A-o-M) and Rev Cyril Bethell-Jones (St John’s Brooklands). The hymns were, “I heard the voice of Jesus say”, “Nearer, my God, to Thee” and “Now the labourers task is o’er”. Mr JH Stratton (Organist) concluded with Chopin’s “Marche Funebre”.
Opening prayers at the graveside were said by the Revd Joseph Chapman (St Paul’s Sale), with the committal portion and Blessing by Rev Canon Wainwright.
Revd. Norman Veitch Scorer, M.A.
Born c. 1880, Lincoln
Vicar, 1917 to 1924
Vicar, St Stephen's, Clapham, London, 1924 to
Rector, South Willingham, Dioc of Lincoln, 1932 to
SALE’S NEW VICAR
SUCCESSOR TO REV. J. P. CORT.
The Rev. Norman Veitch Scorer, M.A., vicar of Kirk Germain, Peel, Isle of Man, has been appointed vicar of St. Anne’s, Sale, in succession to the late Rev. J. P. Cort, vicar from 1884 till 1917. The new Vicar, who is thirty-seven years old, was born in Lincoln, and is the son of Mr. Charles Scorer, of Lincoln, clerk to the Lindsey County Council, Lincs. Mrs. Roger Oldham, formerly of Sale and Timperley, is his sister. He was educated at Lincoln Grammar School, Repton, and Pembroke College, Cambridge, graduating with theological honours in 1902; M.A., 1914. He was ordained in 1903, and became priest in 1904 (York). He was curate of St. John's, Park, Sheffield, for 2½ years, was five years in Yezd and Kerman, Central Persia, with the Church Missionary Society, and for three years has been vicar at Peel, where he has also acted as chaplain to the Church of England troops stationed at the large alien internment camp at Knockaloe. He married in 1908 Martha E. Seton Adamson, youngest daughter of the late Rev. William Adamson, vicar of Old Ford, E., and of the Hon. Mrs. Seton Adamson. They have five children. Mr. Scorer expects to take up his duties at Sale about the middle of September.
The appointment of the Rev. N. V. Scorer to the living of St. Anne’s, Sale, as successor to the late Rev. J. P. Cort, will continue the tradition of active support of the missionary cause, for which St. Anne’s has been notable during many years, as the new vicar has had some years’ experience as a missionary of the Church Missionary Society in Persia. Nothing pleased the late Mr. Cort better than to know that labours in the foreign missionary field had received considerable impetus from support at home, and could he have chosen his successor in the parish it would have been a recommendation in any candidate that he had a warm-hearted interest in the mission field abroad.
Mr. Scorer will come to a district in which will be open to him a large sphere of activity for which he will be well qualified. He has been for three years vicar of Kirk Germain, Peel, and previously, in addition to his five years’ experience in Persia, was curate of St. John’s Park, Sheffield, and curate of Ilkley and Ben Rhydding, near Leeds, so that he has had the varied experience of a large working class parish, the foreign mission field, a wealthy residential district, and a Manx fishing town, where he has also acted as chaplain to the Church of England troops stationed at the large alien internment camp at Knockaloe near Peel. He and his wife and children expect to come to Sale about the middle of September. They are assured of a cordial welcome from the parishioners.
There is a feeling in Sale and neighbouring districts that the question of a memorial to the gallant men whose lives have been lost while on active service should now be seriously considered. In many other places the matter has already been solved, and there surely is no need to wait until after the war before making a decision as to the forma memorial should take. It at least could be sketched well in advance and would be a tangible object to be aimed at when a return is made to peace conditions.
He was Instituted to the Benefice of St Anne’s, Sale on 17 September 1917 and Inducted to the living on 22 September 1917.
From the St Anne's 'Centenary Booklet':
"The Revd NV Scorer ... was by nature very different from the Revd “John Patchett” ... being more of the “Puritan” type, deeply concerned for the salvation of souls, very quiet in manner, but definite in his views on churchmanship (having formerly served in Persia as a Missionary) ... Towards the end of 1924 the Revd Scorer resigned to take up the living of St Stephen's, Clapham, London."
PRESENTATIONS TO VICAR AND WIFE.
REV. N. V. SCORER’S DEPARTURE FROM SALE.
CONGREGATION’S GREAT REGRET.
The Rev. N. V. Scorer, who has been vicar of St. Anne’s, Sale, for the last seven years, and has been appointed vicar of St. Stephen’s, Clapham Park, London, preached his farewell services on Sunday (Dec. 7th 1924).
Presentations to Mr. and Mrs. Scorer were made at a largely-attended social gathering held in St. Anne’s Schoolroom on Friday night, over which Mr. J. Harcourt Willson (formerly and for many years parishioners’ warden) presided (Dec. 5th 1924).
From the congregation and friends, Sunday School and Mothers’ Meeting, Mr. Scorer received a cheque for £73 13s. 1d. and Mrs. Scorer a gold brooch, set with aquamarine and pearls. The St. Anne’s Christian Brotherhood gave Mr. Scorer a cheque for £10. Several gentlemen spoke in glowing terms of the valuable services which had been rendered by the recipients, and deeply regretted their departure from the parish.
MR. SCORER’S REPLY.
The Rev. N. V. Scorer, replying to the presentations, said it was worth while leaving St. Anne’s to have got the representatives of every organisation in the parish in that room. If being at St. Anne's had done nothing else, it had clone that. He did not think that ever previously during the seven years he had been with them they had had so representative a gathering, but having done this, he hoped they would continue to do it, and whenever they had a congregational gathering, let it be one like this. (Applause.) Mr. Scorer spoke in intimate vein of his associations with the parish and of the work that had been accomplished, but what he was particularly glad for was that he had been able to accomplish what he regarded as the true mission of the clergy, and that was to save souls. (Applause.)
Mrs. Scorer, acknowledging the gift of the brooch, said she sincerely thanked them. It had been a great regret to her that she had not had the opportunity of knowing more of them in the parish than she did, but as the wife of the vicar, and as a mother, she had had many calls upon her time. She had prayed for the welfare of all in the parish; and for St. Anne’s her husband and she had great affection. It was very likely that she would be able to visit them at Sale, and perhaps her husband would, but there was this to look forward to there would come a day when there would be no more partings, but when all would inert in the presence of the Lord. (Applause.)
An excellent entertainment was contributed by Messrs. Owles, Rose, Hodgson and Trape, and Miss Owles (elocutionist). Mr. J. H. Stratton, Mus.Bac., acted as accompanist.
Revd. H. A. James
Vicar, 1925 to 1930
From 'The Guardian' (1925):
NEW VICAR OF S. ANNE’S, SALE.
WELCOME TO THE REV. H. A. AND MRS. JAMES.
As reported in lust week’s issue of the “Guardian,” the Rev. H. A. James was inducted to the living of St. Anne’s Church, Sale on Wednesday of last week, and on Friday evening a large number of parishioners attended at the St. Anne’s schoolroom to give the reverend gentleman and Mrs. James a cordial welcome to the parish. The room was crowded with members of the congregation and representatives of the various clubs which form part of the parochial activities. Mr. J. Harcourt Willson presided, and to create the right atmosphere, as he happily expressed it, opened the proceedings with music. Miss D. Churchill and Mr. Stratton gave Listz’s Hungarian Rhapsody as a piano-forte duet and Mrs. Baldwin sang “The Smile of the Spring,” both items being finely rendered and receiving much applause.
THE TRADITIONS OF THE PARISH.
Mr. Willson said how pleased they were to welcome the new vicar and his charming wife. Many changes had come over the locality since the church was built over 70 years ago and it now held a very important position. They were confident Mr. James would maintain the old traditions of the parish, one of which was a bright and cheerful service with good singing. They had always had a good organist and a good choir, which was a great help to the maintenance of a fine service, and added that he hoped to see a large increase in the number of seatholders, as within the last 15 or 20 years every seat had been taken and they should all endeavour to bring about a recurrence of that position. The Vicar had asked him to be his first warden and it had been a very great privilege to him to accept the office.
SUNDAY SCHOOL SUPERINTENDENT’S WELCOME.
Mr. Churchill said he had received an invitation to act as trustee and had therefore some responsibility for the selection of Mr. James, and it was now up to the congregation to make the Vicar and Mrs. James feel that they had not come amongst strangers. As superintendent of the Sunday School he was proud to associate himself with many who had given from 30 to 40 years service as teachers, and he could vouch for the keen support they were ready to give to the new Vicar. He could also speak for the Dramatic Society, who had had the best interests of the parish at heart. In connection with the Brotherhood, he suggested it might be possible to revive the old gymnastics club, although Mr. Richards, who was the leading spirit, had been killed in the War. To Mr. and Mrs. James he would simply say, “We open our heats to you to-night and ask you to enter in.”
Speeches of welcome were also made by Mr. Crosby, on behalf of the Church Council; Mr. Howarth for the Brotherhood, Mr. Dowson for the day school, and Mrs. Whitehead for the Ladies’ Guild.
THE VICAR’S REPLY.
The Vicar, who was received with and enthusiastic round of applause, said it was difficult for him to express appreciation of the wonderful welcome which Mrs. James and himself had received at St. Anne’s, both that evening and at the church service. It was great inspiration. So many people said the Church was dying and moribund, but this was wholly wrong. The Church was the one force in the world which would bnring salvation from the present state of affairs. It was very pleasant to receive such cordial assurances of help from all sections, and their experience and guidance were especially valuable and encouraging to him, as for the last ten years he had not been occupied in the conduct of big parochial activities. It was a privilege to have Mr. Harcourt Willson as his warden, to advise and guide him in the tasks ahead. On behalf of Mrs. James and himself, he thanked every one for their great welcome.
During the serving of refreshments, Mr. James made the acquaintance of most of the parishioners present.
ADJOURNED VESTRY MEETING.
On the 21st instant, Mr. J. Harcourt Willson presided at the adjourned vestry meeting. The Vicar (Rev. H. A. James) nominated Mr. Willson as his warden, and Dr. Ernest E. Ehrbardt as his sidesman.
A vote of thanks was accorded to Mr. Arthur B. Turner, the retiring vicar’s warden, and to Mr. J. P. Peers, the retiring vicar’s sidesman.
From the St Anne's 'Centenary Booklet':
"The Revd Hugh Archibald James was instituted and inducted on 11 April, 1925. He had formerly served as Chaplain to HMS Conway. Here was another change of personality; a great sportsman, active and quick in movement, much wider in his views on churchmanship and more tolerant. No Vicar can please everyone, especially those who have a high regard for a former Vicar, and it was early in his Vicarate that a few people left St Anne's to form the Evangelical Church of Sale. Mr James resigned the living in 1931 to go to Hartfield in Sussex, where later he died."
FAREWELL TO VICAR OF ST. ANNE'S.
REV. H. A. JAMES GOING TO SUSSEX NEXT WEEK.
PRESENTATION AND GOOD WISHES OF PARISHIONERS.
Sincere expressions of sorrow on the loss of a popular vicar were mingled with heartfelt wishes for his future happiness at the farewell gathering to the Rev. H. A. James, held in St. Anne’s Schoolroom, on Wednesday evening. The large assembly of parishioners present testified to the esteem in which Mr. and Mrs. James are held, and among the visitors from neighbouring parishes were the Rev. J. Chapman, Rev. C. Bethell-Jones, Rev. W. D. Acheson-Smyth, and the Rev. George Benton.
FINE CHURCH THAT COST ONLY £2,500.
Mr. J. Harcourt Willson presided, and welcomed the company, and gave some interesting historical data relating to the Church of St. Anne’s. He recalled that the building of the fabric itself cost only £2,500, and paid tribute to the names of Joynson, Midwood, King, and Metcalf, who were prominent at its inception in the midst of what then were fields of waving corn. Mr. Willson also referred to the list of vicars - the Rev. J. J. Cort (1856-85), his son, the Rev. J. P. Cort (1885-1917), the Rev. N. S. Scorer (1917-1925), followed by Mr. James, who had so endeared himself to the congregation, and entered so heartily in the public life of the district.
FREED OF DEBT.
Mr. F. S. Churchill, as the people’s warden, joined in congratulations to Mr. and Mrs. James. He especially complimented Mr. James on his activities on the financial side - all their obligations had been met and to-day the church stood in a highly satisfactory position. Mr. A. Simcock, on behalf of the congregation, spoke of Mr. James’ breadth of view, his clear presentment of the message of Jesus Christ, and they all wished him Godspeed in his new sphere. Mr. Harrison, secretary of the Men’s Christian Brotherhood, and Mr. L. Hewetson also spoke with sincere regard to the vicar's sportsmanship and friendliness with one and all.
A JOINT TRIBUTE.
Mr. Willson then presented to Mr. James a cheque for £48 4s. 6d., which, he said, had been subscribed by members of the congregation, Sunday school teachers and scholars, Choir members, the Men's Brotherhood, the Tennis and Badminton Club, and the Girl Guides. Bouquets were also presented to Mrs. James by Miss Walker.
COMPENSATIONS THAT OUTWEIGH DIFFICULTIES.
In responding, Mr. James thanked all the speakers and the company for their good wishes. His five and a half years there, he said, had passed very quickly, and yet it seemed a large slice of his life. He greatly appreciated the faithfulness of the congregation, and the sympathy and support they had always accorded him. There had been difficulties, as in all places, but the compensations had more than made up for them, and he was happy that his successor should find no burden of debt. (Applause.)
THE ATMOSPHERE OF SANCTITY.
“I am very fond of the Church itself”, continued Mr. James. “Old churches always have an atmosphere of sanctity; one feels that people have worshipped there for generations; not all new churches have this atmosphere, but it does exist at St. Anne’s.” The Vicar paid warm tributes also to the loyalty of the choir, which was practically the same as when he came; to the Brotherhood, to whose 50 members he had spoken every Sunday afternoon, he never found a more attentive and appreciative congregation; to the Sunday School and its faithful band of teachers, the Ladies’ Guild, and all other organisations and church workers and members. “We go to Sussex next week”, continued Mr. James, “with bright hopes for the future and many regrets for the friends we shall miss, but we hope that when on holiday in the South you will pay us a visit”. “I deeply appreciate your coming tonight to say good-bye, and the spirit of this tangible form of your regard. I wish you Godspeed, one and all, and way the Church by your faithfulness and loyalty always be a power for good in this place.” (Applause.)
A delightful concert was enjoyed during the evening, the artists being Miss Elsie Brooks, soprano; Mrs. Harrie Mann, soprano; Miss Nora Walley, violinist; Mr. Harrie Mann, baritone; Mr. Gordon Bird, bass; and the St. Anne’s Brotherhood Male Voice Choir, with Mr. J. H. Stratton at the piano.
Revd. Henry Alexander Wahltuch
Vicar, 1931 to 1936
Former Parish: St Thomas's, Lower Crumpsall.
Induction by The Bishop of Chester, July 27 1931. The Trustees present were Messrs T.A. Needham, E.L. Sandbach, H.J. Marriott and F.S. Churchill. Mr Wahltuch .... hoped that in time it would be possible to add Scouts and Cubs and Rovers ...
He died on Nov. 7th 1936.
In November 1936, representations were made to the Patrons upon the departure of Revd HA Wahltuch:
1) The Parish has a population of approximately 14,000 and is rapidly growing as is a C of E School.
It therefore requires an incumbent who is physically fit for arduous parochial duties.
Suggested age limit - 50 years.
2) The type of Churchmanship is of a moderate character, neither in favour of extreme ceremonial nor of narrow evangelicalism.
3) It is desired that the future incumbent should be a man who, whether he be at present an incumbent or assistant curate, has had a successful ministry in his present position.
The Council wish to express their appreciation of the wisdom shown by the Patrons in their last choice and hope that their next will be equally beneficial to the Parish."
From the St Anne's 'Centenary Booklet':
"In 1931, the Revd Henry Alexander Wahltuch LTh, was appointed Vicar. He was a very kind and sensitive man, greatly loved. His early death in 1946 brought a very sincere ministry to an end. His ashes were interred near the font in the Church (near the current “Children’s Corner”) and the Processional Cross was given by the Parishioners to his memory ...".
Revd. Sidney Burroughs WarburtonVicar, 1937 to 1957
He was welcomed as the new Vicar at the PCC on 30th April 1937.
To be added.
Revd. Winston Gordon Hurlow
Vicar, 1957 to 1965
To be added.
Revd. George R. Kemp
Vicar, 1965 to 1976
To be added.
Revd. Joseph Edmund Richardson
Vicar, 1977 to 1984
St Chad's College, Durham, BA, 1949
Sarum Theological College, 1951; Deacon, 1952; Priest, 1953
Curate, St Chad, Far Headingley, Ripon, 1952 to 1956
Curate, Hoylake, Chester, 1956 to 1958
Rector, Halton, Oxford, 1958 to 1965
Rector, Davenham, Chester, 1965 to 1976
Vicar, St Anne with St Francis, Sale, 1976 to 1984
Rector, Delamere, 1984 to 1988
Permission to Officiate, Exeter, From 1988
Revd. David Alfred Kay
Vicar, 10 May 1985 to 15 September 1987
See page headed, Fr David Kay
Revd. John Sutton
Vicar, 14 March 1988 to 7 April 1996
St John's College, Durham, BA, 1970
Ridley Hall, Cambridge, 1970; Deacon, 1972; Priest, 1973
Curate, St Lawrance, Denton, Manchester, 1972 to 1977
Rector, St Lawrance, Denton, Manchester, 1977 to 1982
Vicar, High Lane, Chester, 1982 to 1988
Vicar, St Anne with St Francis, Sale, 1988 to 1996
Vicar, Timperley, 1996 to 2012
Rural Dean, Bowdon, 2003 to 2012
Honorary Canon, Chester Cathedral, 2001 to 2012
Continued at Incumbents (Cont./...)